Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Seriously...you thought this through???

Not only was I greeted with Mother Nature's latest "eff you" on Friday, a mother of one of the kids in Kam's class decided to send home an invitation to a birthday party. Normally, I am all for it. However, after the last one, I wanted to retrieve the invite before Kam had a chance to see it.

And just for the record, the last one was a swim party at the Connelly Inn on Route 30 - not good for several reasons - 1. On Valentines's day. Not that we had any fabulous plans or anything but come on - it was on a Thursday for Pete's Sake. 2. Kam is NOT a swimmer. She thinks swimming is being able to stand in the water with it up to her neck. Uh no....not even close. I needed a supply of ant-anxiety pills that night. Oh dear lord.

Not so lucky with this one. This invite was for a sleep over at a HOTEL. Yes, a HOTEL. Really? You couldn't have a sleep over at your house? Really? So now I am left with the daunting task of breaking it gently to Kam about how she won't be going because Mommy has no trust in people she doesn't know.

A quick conference with Grammo gave me the idea to have a friend over for Kam and go see Horton Hears A Who that day. Sweet idea Mom! Have you raised kids before? What? You have? Impossible!

So when I got to work today, straight to the email I went and sent a nice note to one of Kam's classmates mom who works at Highmark with me. In a nutshell - I wanted to know if I was the only sane parent that was not letting her child go to this Hotel Sleep Over.

Phone rings....hooray! She too is not letting her daughter go and she thinks it is a WONDERFUL (I will try not to pat myself on the back and break my arm) idea. I tell I her I will contact her later with details as we get closer. Oh joy - I cannot wait to tell Kam. She will be super excited. And I was right. She was tickled pink.

So what would you do? Would you let your kid go to a sleep over for a classmate in a hotel? Mind you, there were no additional details with the invite - just "we will tell you the room number when you RSVP". My bad - but I don't think 6 year olds need to be in a hotel for a sleep over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wtf....a hotel
and you do not get to accompany the minor to the hotel slumber...
no..no you are not the insane one...i am in a little but of shock...who does that?

Me said...

THANK YOU! I talked to another mom and she was a little more liberal then we were. Something just didn't seem right about it.

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

I'll bring the keg!! woooo hoooo!

seriously: what in the world?

I totally would've bailed on the Valentines one.. Now see.. you ARE a nice mom. ;) So will you let Kam come to Emma's birthday in Oct. I'm thinking of flying all the girls to Paris to have a slumber party on the Eiffel tower. No.. it's okay. You don't have to come. I've got it all covered. :)